Creating a 5-Star City
VOTE February 9, 2021
In October 2020, Lawton City Council approved an ordinance and coinciding resolution for citizens to take to the polls for an election to levy and assess the continuation of the “Hotel/Transient Guest” tax – a tax in which local residents are exempt.
The occupancy tax funds city-wide purposes related to the encouragement, promotion and fostering of conventions, tourism and industrial/economic development. Lawtonians are exempt from paying the tax with proof of residency; the tax is funded through hotel, motel and home-sharing visitors. It is proposed to raise the rate from 5.5 percent to 7 percent. The increase will allow for greater quality of life and economic development opportunities for the Lawton community.
Organizations such as the Lawton Philharmonic Orchestra, Lawton Community Theatre, Lawton Farmer’s Market, Lawton Heritage Association and Holiday in the Park are funded with a portion of the occupancy tax. The Convention & Visitors Bureau through the Lawton Fort Sill Chamber of Commerce, Lawton Enhancement Trust Authority and Lawton Economic Development Corporation are also included as beneficiaries.
Yearly allocations are decided upon during the City of Lawton budget process each Spring. Copies of annual budgets, which include these allocations, can be found at lawtonok.gov/departments/finance.
The election will take place February 9, 2021.
- Lawton Fort Sill Chamber of Commerce, CVB
- Lawton Economic Development Corporation
- Lawton Enhancement Trust Authority
- Museum of the Great Plains
- Lawton Philharmonic Orchestra
- Lawton Community Theatre
- Lawton Heritage Association
- Freedom Festival
- Armed Services YMCA
- Lawton Farmer’s Market
- Holiday in the Park
- Deadline to register to take part in election: 1/15/2021
- To register to vote, check on voter registration status or polling place information: Visit elections.ok.gov then go to OK Voter Portal. New voters will be directed to fill out, print and mail a voter registration application. Those wishing to register to vote may also go to any tag agency to fill out an application or visit the Comanche County Election Board.
- Last day to request an absentee ballot by mail: 2/2/2021
- Absentee ballots can be received at the Election Board in the mail up to and including 2/9/2021
- Last day to turn in absentee ballot in-person: 2/8/2021
- In-person absentee voting: 2/4/2021 & 2/5/2021
Questions or concerns in regard to voting in this election should be relayed to the Comanche County Election Board at 580.353.1880. The Comanche County Election Board is located in Room 206 at the Comanche County Courthouse, 315 SW Fifth Street, in Lawton.
- Ballot Proposition: “Shall Ordinance No. 20-19 of the city of Lawton, Oklahoma, which shall be known and cited as the City of Lawton Hotel/Transient Guest Tax Ordinance be approved, which levies and assesses a continuation of a hotel occupancy tax at the rate of an increase from five and one half percent (5.5%) to seven percent (7%) for a period of ten (10) years, beginning May 1, 2021, on the rents received from the occupancy of hotel/motel rooms, unless such tax is extended by a subsequent vote of the electorate; providing that the revenues from the tax collected be placed in a special fund of the City and appropriated annually for the exclusive purposes of encouraging, promoting and fostering conventions, tourism, industrial development and economic development in the city of Lawton; and providing that the Lawton City Council may enter into agreements for accomplishing the purposes for which the hotel occupancy tax is authorized and levied?”
- Resolution 2020-129
- Ordinance 2020-19
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- For election- or voter-specific information, contact the Comanche County Election Board at 580.353.1880.
- For ballot proposition questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lawton Enhancement Trust Authority
Lawton Philharmonic Orchestra
Lawton Fort Sill Freedom Festival
Lawton Community Theatre
Lawton Fort Sill Convention and Visitors Bureau
Click image for larger viewing.